Trump 2020 Israel Campaign

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about absentee voting:

Voting in U.S. Elections is Governed by State and Federal Law. The procedures differ from State to State. Federal law governs certain rules and procedures. The right of Americans residing overseas to vote for federal candidates (President, Vice President, Senator and Representative) is protected by Federal law, known as UOCAVA.

What is UOCAVA?

The Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) extends federal absentee voting rights to overseas citizens.

Who is covered under UOCAVA?

UOCAVA covers U.S. citizens residing outside the United States.

What is the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA)?

U.S. citizens residing abroad can use the FPCA to register to vote and request an absentee ballot simultaneously. They can also use the FPCA to update their contact information.

What is the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB)?

The FWAB is an emergency backup ballot for U.S. citizens residing abroad who did not receive an absentee ballot from their state in time to participate in the election.

Do I have to register to vote?

Most states and territories require you to register to vote. You can fill out an FPCA to register and request an absentee ballot at the same time.

When should I request an absentee ballot?

You should send in a new FPCA every January and each time you move. We recommend that you send in an FPCA as soon as possible before the election in which you want to vote. In 2020 the U.S. general election is scheduled for November 3, 2020.

Do I have to send in a separate application for each election?

The FPCA allows you to request an absentee ballot for all federal elections in the calendar year. Depending on your state, you may receive a ballot with local or state offices and initiatives as well (e.g., Governor, City Council). We recommend that you send in a new FPCA every January and each time you move.

Can I vote at the embassy or consulate?

No. Elections are run at the state level. You must communicate directly with your state to register, request a ballot, and vote. This year with the Corona virus emergency the U.S. Embassy in Israel is understaffed and not in a position to lend much assistance to U.S. voters residing in Israel. This is why Republicans Overseas Israel and the Trump2020 Israel Campaign is working to assist voters whenever the need arises.

When will I get my ballot?

Election offices are required to send absentee ballots at least 45 days before a federal election. If you requested your ballot by email, then the ballot should arrive right away. Mailed ballots will take longer to arrive depending on the postal system in the country where you are located. Because of the Corona virus emergency, we strongly recommend that you ask that your state election officials send your absentee ballot by e-mail if allowed by state law.

What if I do not get a ballot?

If you do not receive an absentee ballot in time to return it to your state, you can use the FWAB (Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot) as a backup ballot to vote for federal offices. If your official absentee ballot arrives after you send in the FWAB, then you can fill out and send in the official ballot as well. Your state will count only one.

FAQs for the FPCA and FWAB

Do I have to choose a voter classification?

Yes. The FPCA and FWAB require you to select what type of voter you are. Most Americans residing in Israel will be U.S. citizens who do not know if and when they will return to the U.S. This is the proper classification. If you are in Israel temporarily for studies for employment, you will pick the classification for U.S. citizens who intend to return to the U.S. The classification system is how you tell the election office that you are eligible to vote absentee under federal law.

What if none of these classifications apply to me?

If you do not reside outside of the United States but want to vote absentee, you must follow the standard absentee voting procedures for your state. You can look up your election office at and contact them about obtaining an absentee ballot.

Can my immediate family members vote absentee?

Spouses and children who live away from their voting residence can request an absentee ballot using the FPCA.

Will it affect my citizenship if I select "my return is uncertain"?


Can a U.S. citizen who has never lived in the country register to vote and request an absentee ballot?

Most states allow citizens who have never resided in the U.S. to use a parent's voting residence as their own. A list of these states is available online at Even in those states which do not permit citizens who have never resided in the U.S. to vote, it may nevertheless be possible to register to vote and vote by absentee ballot. If you fall into this category, feel free to contact us at or call 055-929-6329.

What if I don't have a social security number or a state-issued ID?

In Section 6 of the form, under "Additional Information," write that you do not have a Social Security Number or a state-issued ID.

Does voter registration affect my tax status?

You can vote for federal offices without a change to your tax status, but voting for non-federal offices may result in state and local taxation. There may also be tax implications when changing your residence from one state to another. We recommend that you seek legal advice when changing your voting residence.

What is my U.S. voting residence address?

Your U.S. voting residence address is used to determine where you are eligible to vote. For overseas citizens, it is usually the last place you lived at in the U.S. before moving overseas. You do not need to have any current ties with this address. Also it is not necessary that the former address still exist. See below.

What if someone else lives there now or the house was torn down?

Your election office only uses your voting residence address to determine if you are eligible to vote in that jurisdiction and which ballot to send you. Your election office will not  send any voting materials to this  address.

What if I do not know my voting residence address?

If you cannot remember the U.S. address where you last resided, we recommend asking family members and checking old records. Your election office may also be able to help you further.

Can my voting residence and current address be the same?

No. In order to vote absentee, you must be living outside of your voting district.

Do I have to give my current address if I am asking for my absentee ballot by email or fax?

Yes. The election office needs your current address to confirm that you are eligible to vote absentee under federal law. This is especially important for citizens residing outside of the U.S.

Do I have to put my political party?

Most states require you to specify a political party in order to vote in primary elections. This information may be used to register you with a party. You do not need to specify a political party to vote in the coming November 3, 2020 general election.

Do I have to give additional information?

Some states require additional information to process your application. Go to to find out what your state specifically requires.

Can I sign my FPCA or FWAB electronically?

Only the states of Nevada and Montana currently accept electronic signatures from the DoD Common Access Card. All overseas citizens in all other states must print the form, sign it and send it to your election office.

Does it matter what size paper I use?

No. Any paper size is acceptable as long as the information is legible.

How can I send my form?

All states will accept your form by mail, but they vary on email and fax. Check your state's requirements/guidelines at If you have a problem determining whether you can submit your FPCA by email or fax, you can send us a note at

Do I have to pay for postage?

You must pay for postage only if you are using a foreign postal service or a commercial courier service. If you are using U.S. mail including APO/FPO and diplomatic pouches, then you can use the postage-paid template available on If it is a problem for you to pay for postage to the U.S., please contact us at 055-929-6329 and we will try and find a solution for you.

Can I use any envelope to mail my form?

Yes. Print the postage-paid template from onto any available blank envelope.

Please note that some states require you to place ballots and FWABs inside an anonymous security/secret envelope. When sending your voting materials, make sure you have two envelopes; one for the ballot or FWAB and one for actual mailing. Place the security envelope along with the other balloting materials inside the mailing envelope.  Once this is complete, you can address and send your voting materials to your election office.

What is a postmark?

A postmark is an official imprint applied on the address side of a stamped piece of mail by the post office. It shows when and where the post office accepted your mail.

How do I email my form?

Only email your form if your state will accept it this way. After printing and signing your form, scan and attach it to an email addressed to your election office. Do NOT send your form to FVAP.

What is the DoD Fax Service?

The DoD Fax Service is for those voters who cannot send their election materials directly to their election officials. To fax your election materials, use the FVAP Transmission Cover Sheet and fax to: (703) 693-5527, DSN 223-5527 or toll-free from the U.S., Canada, Guam, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands to 1-800-368-8683. If you need to send your election materials to your election official by fax but do not have access to a fax machine, you can email them to and FVAP will fax your election materials for you. This service is fax only. If your state accepts your election materials by email, you should email them directly to your election official. FVAP will not transmit email-to-email transactions.

How do I check the status of my application?

Contact your election office directly to confirm that your form was processed successfully. FVAP does not have access to your registration information. If you have any problem contacting your election office, feel free to contact us at 052-869-9000.


Please Note: is an independent grass roots volunteer organization dedicated to reaching out to American Voters in Israel to support President Trump's re-elections and to help Voters with their absentee ballots, and is doing so in cooperation & collaboration with Republicans Overseas Israel (ROI). Our opinions  are our own, and may or may not reflect that of ROI

© 2020 by . Proudly created with